When it comes to social media marketing, some marketers & entrepreneurs think that Pinterest is only about women just pinning a bunch of pretty pictures about clothes, handbags and food.
While Facebook and Twitter seem to be the obvious choice for most businesses Pinterest has gained huge momentum and is now the 2nd largest driver of traffic from social media sites (next only to Facebook).
If you do not keep up with the times you will fall behind. The Pinterest tide is rising rapidly. Are you falling behind?
Bloggers take note: 50 million articles are being shared on Pinterest every day and those articles drive more traffic to publishers than Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit and Google+ combined.
In addition, Pinterest buyers spend more money, more often, & on more items than any other of the top five social media sites according to Comscore. Now what’s not to like about that?
Women account for most of the online retail purchases—58% according to a study by the Center for Emerging Female Leadership, which also found that 22% of women shop online at least once a day. According to Pew Research Center 1/3 of Women in U.S. use Pinterest.
What that means to you as business owners and operators is that if you want to attract female shoppers then you need to be on Pinterest properly and effectively.
Here are 15 ways to help you excel with your Pinterest marketing.
3 powerful ways you can get marketplace insight:
1. Go to the “Trending” category on Pinterest under Explore. This will help you find out what the most popular content is and therefore what is worthy of being pinned. Armed with that type of data you are in a better position to innovate and decide which products are best to market and carry.
2. Convert one of your boards to a group board. Images that are being shared by your target audience say “this is what we want” and “give us more of this”.
3. Study your competitor’s Pinterest page. Check out their most popular boards. You can easily find what people are pinning from their website by going to www.pinterest.com/source/yourcompetitorswebsiteurl.com
If they are crushing sales with a; product type, style or price point that you are missing then you might be able to earn some of those sales back by making changes.
3 sure fire ways to develop loyal fans:
1. Ask your followers to take pictures of themselves using your products. Then share them on your Pinterest group board. Give pinners a special shout out by tagging their name.
2. Give exclusive deals and promotions available exclusively for your Pinterest followers.
3. Create pre-order sales exclusive to Pinterest followers before the product or service goes out to the general public. Nordstrom’s does this.
3 money making ways to generate leads:
1. Go to your “Followers” tab on your Pinterest home page and make a list of the pinners you want to reach out to. Send them a note through Facebook or tweet them if they have made that available in their about section. If not, comment on one of their pins by writing something like “Thanks for the follow. Let me know how I can help you”.
2. Go to www.pinterest.com/source/yourwebsiteurl.com and you will discover who is pinning content from your website. These people are definitely interested in your content. This tactic has worked well for me and I write on the comment box on the image they pinned “Thanks for sharing Maria. Let me know if you’re interested in a free 30 minutes consultation/coaching session”. Make sure your “Email Notifications” is turned to “Yes” in your settings to ensure you receive the pinner’s message
3. Create a board that features your products and services. 20% of your overall content should be allocated towards what your business offers.
3 profit making ways to grow business partnerships:
What this means is how to find opportunities and develop strategic alliances with your connections outside Pinterest.
1. Build relationships with your social media contacts in Google hangouts, meet ups, conferences, and especially outside the computer. How? Follow one of their boards and thank them if they respond in kind. Be social, be helpful, pin with a caring heart.
2. Create strategic alliances and be partner focused not me focused. How, support them first, get them some leads, referrals, get them some killer new idea to help them grow and in turn, in time, they will help you too.
3. Offer a referral fee to others if they help you make a sale. And I’m also big on thank you cards. Avoid just emailing someone when they’ve done something thoughtful or out of their way for you – sit down, use great stationary or a card, buy a stamp and write a thank you note.
3 proven, no brainer ideas to increase sales:
Driving traffic back to your website or into your stores will lead to new sales transactions. That is what Pinterest does shockingly well from a business perspective.
1. Install your Rich Pins! Retailer Target has seen a 70% increase in traffic from Pinterest to Target.com since rolling out Rich Pins in early 2013.
2. Create Pinterest contests. When The Grommet ran a two-week spring fever themed contest all participants were eligible to win a $200 gift card. It resulted in more than 4,000 product images being pinned on the Grommet Pinterest page, including 555 repins and 136,000 impressions!
3. Create images with text overlays that say “CLICK HERE” for more info. Combining a call-to-action pin description brings an 80% increase in engagement.
The bottom line is Pinterest drives a mind boggling amount of referral traffic to your website. That in turn drives new sales. If you want to reap the rewards of Pinterest social media marketing you need to have a cohesive plan, pin content that your target audience can’t resist and measure your results so you know what’s working and what isn’t working.
Posts from partners
Founder of Viraltag - Visual Content Marketing Platform. Passionate about helping Small Businesses succeed on Social Media.