Visual Content Marketing expert discusses how there is not a whole lot of conversation that goes on in Pinterest which is why you will find the message feature on Pinterest especially helpful when you’re trying to reach potential customers.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- If you’re sending a Pinner a message you have be following each other. ( a minimum of one board)
- You can send a message by entering their email address.
- You can send your profile page, a board, or a pin.
- It also includes a group chat feature for up to nine people – great for collaborating.
So how does one find potential customers on Pinterest?
Here are three ways to do that:
1) Go to www.pinterest.com/source/yourwebsiteurl.com and see who’s pinning content from your website. These people are definitely interested in your content. This tactic has worked well for me and I write in the comment box on the image they pinned “Thanks for sharing Maria. Let me know if you’re interested in a free 30 minute consultation/coaching session”. Make sure your “Email Notification” is turned to “Yes” in your settings to ensure you receive the pinner’s response.
2) If you have a board that features your services reach out to those who have followed that board.
3) If you have an image that Pinterest users have repinned reach out to them. You know they’re interested in that image so don’t think you’re spamming them by giving them a friendly reminder. Below you can see an image that I shared about my Pinterest Marketing for Business course and when you click on the “Pin it” button it will reveal who those pinners are.
Now that you know where to find your prospects let me show you how I use the new message feature and then you consider using the same method tailored to how you feel it will work best for you:
As an example we’ll use the above pin to email a prospect. I’ll make a list of those pinners who pinned that image.
After we’ve chosen the pin to send to a prospect, click on the “Send” button and a pop up box will appear.
Type your message under “add a message” and then start typing in the Pinterest user’s name below under “Search” and a drop down of names will display and then click the one you want.
The cool thing about this message feature is that the recipient can message you back and now you can start a dialogue. Anything you can do with a pin on Pinterest’s web site, you can do inside a message: pin it to a board of your own, send it to a friend, or click the ‘heart’ to add it to your list of favorites.
Remember that on Pinterest you want to come across as being helpful so be strategic about what pins you want to send to your prospect.
Create a list of pinners you want to reach out to and make a note of the date you send your emails out. Pinners are not on Pinterest every day so just because they don’t get back to you within 24 hrs to a few days it does not mean they are not interested. According to Pew Research, 30 percent of Pinterest users only visit the site weekly while 23 percent visit daily.
There are other ways to use the message center to communicate your message to multiple pinners. This is especially helpful when collaborating with a team. Here’s a video from Pinterest.