They say that a picture is worth a thousand words and its true, however success on Pinterest or any other visual content marketing platform is not just about pinning a bunch of pretty pictures. There’s an actual science to it. There are more than 750 million boards with 30 billion pins already on Pinterest. So if you want to get noticed you have to know and play by the Pinterest rules to win. For example, research found that products photographed in an authentic setting gained an average of 159% more Likes and Re-Pins compared to those shot on a simple white background. What it means is people like to see your products and services in action, being used by real customers vs. a product photo shoot.
Here are 10 ways to get more repins and attract boat loads of followers:
1) Pin from various sources vs. one specific site or pinner. You’ll get more visibility this way.
2) Repin images with the most number of repins. Don’t just pin mindlessly. Repin images with the intent that your target audience is going to find them helpful. Go to the “Popular” tab on Pinterest.
3) When repinning from other sources make the time to edit the pin description so that it reflects the authenticity and voice of your brand and business.
4) Complete your board “category”. Skipping this step won’t get you found on Pinterest.
5) Combine a call-to-action in the pin description which brings an 80% increase in engagement.
6) Avoid excessive use of hashtags. Too many of them actually hurt you more than help you with the Pinterest’s search engine.
7) 75% of Pinterest users use their mobile device on Pinterest. Make sure your pin descriptions are mobile friendly. Make sure that pinners can visibly see pin descriptions. On an Android device you have 100-125 characters to work with and on Apple devices 75-100 characters.
8) Do not use bitly. Pinterest thinks you might be spamming. As a result, when you click on the image a pop up box that says “Blocked Link” pops up.
9) Keep up with the trends. Pins related to trending topics (like Valentine’s Day, Spring, Easter, Mother`s Day etc.) see an average increase of 94% on click throughs.
10) Pin tutorials & guides plus /DIY & recipe pins because they receive 42% higher click through rate. Be helpful, pin a guide to doing something related to your business. If you sell golf gear why not pin a list of 5 key golf tips or 3 ways to putt better. Help your customers more than try to sell to them.
Certainly there are additional ways for you to get more engagement on Pinterest. Start with these visual content marketing ideas and for more tips follow us on Pinterest for more tips and tricks.